Connecting people to nature, improving lives, opportunities & aspirations
Get in Touch
Feel free to contact Wild Elements with any bookings, questions, projects, collaborative partnerships or feedback about any of our services via:
Rivendell Building, Bangor University Treborth Botanic Garden, Bangor, Gwynedd, LL57 2RQ
You are here: STEM, Arts & Outdoor Education > A Day in the Life of an Ecologist
A Day in the Life of an Ecologist
Fun-filled day of exercises, games and experiments to highlight aspects of land ecology, species, food chains, habitats and ecosystems. The session also examines environmental issues – pollution, plastics, rare and invasive species, the impact of environmental issues, and how ecology influences societal and governmental practices.
The main theme of A Day in the Life of an Ecologist is ecology and its impact upon society. The learning outcomes are:
- LO1: What ecology is.
- LO2: The importance of habitats to ensure thriving biodiversity and the impact of humans, invasive species and natural occurrences upon habitat and biodiversity.
- LO3: The impact of ecology and biodiversity upon society. What can be done to further conserve biodiversity and habitats.
- Undertake hands-on outdoor activities, experiments and games demonstrating aspects such as, pollution, food chains, pesticides and invasive species
- Discover different ecosystems
- Examine Treborth Botanic Garden’s rare species
- Tour the Botanical Garden, glasshouses and hothouses to demonstrate habitats and different climates
- Learn how to measure and calculate the height and age of trees
- Work in teams to research and create a presentation about environmental issues
Cross-cutting themes and other Areas of Learning and Experience (AoLE) groups embedded in the session:
- Numeracy – measurement, calculation
- IT skills
All activities within the session can be tailored to requirements. The depth that each topic is covered depends on the ages, key stage and abilities of participants, with more complex elements reserved for upper key stages. Please contact us to discuss your requirements for your group.
More details about A Day in the Life of an Ecologist - Click Here